Many coaches, as well as the coaching support staff, are the parents of children on the team, and will move with the team as they progress through the various age levels programs.
Although volunteers, each member of the coaching staff is required to provide a current Police issued CPIC and take OMHA sanctioned courses to be able to help on the bench. These policies help ensure the quality of hockey our children enjoy.
The coaches and staff are accountable to both the CAL and the OMHA - for their actions during practices, games and in tournaments. Any staff member found not following the rules can and has been suspended.
- All CAL team officials must be familiar with the CAL Hockey Handbook.
- Each Head Coach must have a copy of the handbook.
- All volunteers must have a Speak Out/PRS Certification. (OMHA)
- All volunteers must have a current Police Background Check.
Team Officials (Official Order)
Team officials are designated as Coach, Trainer, Manager, Assistant Coach or Assistant Trainer (OMHA).
- Each team registered with OMHA must register at least 2 different persons, a Coach & a Trainer
- After the Coach & Trainer positions are filled, a 3rd team official may be registered as Manager
- If a team wishes to add additional persons they will be designated as an Assistant Coach on the 4th spot and Assistant Trainer or Assistant Coach on the 5th spot on the roster
Bench & Game Sheet Rules
- Every rostered team must have on the bench at each game a Coach & a Trainer
- No more than 5 team officials signed to the official game sheet report and allowed on the bench during game
- Every team official shall have an OMHA Speak Out or PRS certification
- Every team official shall have a current police background check submitted to their centre (every 3 years)
- All bench staff rostered to the team must print & sign their their name on the game sheet
Failure to comply shall result in a suspension to the offending official.
Certified and registered coaches & assistant coaches sixteen (16) years of age shall be restricted to coaching in Peewee and lower divisions, and must be at least two years older than the division age they are coaching.
Each year the CAL holds OMHA clinics to train and certify coaches and coaching staff.
In all clinics, space is limited, and enrollment is determined on a first come, first served basis. Pre-registration is required and full payment at the time of registration is required.
Clinics are also open to other clubs, coaches and coaching staff within the OMHA. All coaching clinics are sanctioned by the OMHA and provide the required accreditation.
OMHA Standard Expiry Date
August 31st every 3 years – All new coaches can take clinics in the spring or fall where offered. All coaching staff who require renewal of their August 31 expiration date must take an OMHA Refresher Clinic in spring, prior to the upcoming fall season in order to have their certification renewed.