CAL Dressing Room Policy
The Church Athletic League firmly believes in accommodating all genders while participating in CAL hockey. This goal must be balanced with the safety, privacy, modesty and wishes of all of our members without compromising the aspects of camaraderie, social integration and bonding inherent in a team sport. This policy attempts to meet these goals while providing a safe and respectful environment for our members.
- CAL stresses the importance of coaches in ensuring that both male and female players have equal access to pre and post-game sessions and for all team related activities.
- Kingston arenas will provide three change rooms for each hockey game/practice in order to ensure that appropriate changing facilities are available for both genders. Please be aware that in some of the older arenas, the shower facilities are common between rooms.
- Notwithstanding the above note, Arenas will not guarantee a third room for back-to-back ice times. This means that this separate room may need to be shared by players at different ice times.
- If this shared dressing room is locked, the key is to be taken to the game bench by the Coaching Staff of one of the teams on the ice, so that a player arriving for the next game can access the shared room in a timely fashion.
- From the Peewee level and up, male and female players will NOT change in the same dressing room.
- From the Peewee level and up, adults of the opposite gender are not permitted to enter the dressing room. For example, this means NO mothers, female coaching staff or sisters in the male dressing room and NO fathers, male coaching staff or brothers in the female dressing room. Coaches will need to enforce this rule.
- Teams should set a time (i.e. 5-10 minutes before and after the game) to allow team members of the opposite gender to enter into the dressing room in order to hold team meetings. It is important not to exclude members of the opposite gender simply because they are changing in a different room. Coaches will need to encourage players to be on time and ready in time so that all players have access to the dressing room.
- Players will not remove equipment except for their helmet, neck guard and gloves when all players are in the pre-game or post-game meeting. Coaches need to enforce this rule.
- Please note that the Constantine Arena has a designated Female Dressing Room and males are not permitted in this room at any time, regardless of the age of the hockey player. Males cannot enter the room to tie skates or help with a female player’s equipment. This must be done in the hallway or the main team locker room when she can enter the room.
- Team Officials are to review and follow the OHF Policy regarding dressing room supervision.